Creating an organization-wide knowledge base is not just important anymore, it is necessary. Employees come to an organization not to just work, but also to grow and develop their skills. With Engagedly’s Learning Management System users can share knowledge with others, or even take courses to develop.
The employee training software feature can also be used for employee-on-boarding or for introducing new areas in an organization.
The documentation below explains how you can use the Learning feature to your own advantage.
The learning feature is built in such a way that anybody can create a course in the employee training software. But not everyone can assign a course to users or manage the points related to the course. You can assign this permission to the users through ‘Permission Management’.
To assign ‘Learning Manager’ permission, go to ‘Settings’ and click ‘ Permission Management’. Here go to ‘Learning Manager’ and click on ‘Assign To Users’. Now you can assign the permission to the users you want to.
The users to whom this permission is assigned will be able to assign courses to anyone and also be able to manage the points related to the course they assign.
If you want to add a new permission for the ‘Learning’ module, go to Manage Permissions in Settings and create a new permission. Go here to know more about how to create a new permission.
Note:- As mentioned above, anyone can create courses in Engagedly employee training and management software. However, we realise that not all organizations might want this functionality. If you would like to restrict course creation to select users, raise a support ticket with your request and we will get back to you.
Once this has been done, the site administrator can create a new permission with respect to course creation and give that permission to select users.
Go to ‘Settings’ tab and select Categories under ‘Learning’. The Course Categories page opens up.
You can either enable or disable the course categories by checking “Enable course categories throughout the application”. These categories are meant to help you filter through courses more easily in the Library.
To add more categories click +Add under course categories.
You can always add or delete categories in the employee training software whenever you like.
Go to the ‘Authored By Me’ tab and click on ‘+New Course’. This will open the course creation page where you can fill in the course information.
The ‘Create New Course’ page opens up. Here you can fill in the course details like Course name, description, tags etc. Click ‘Create’ after filling in the details.
You also have the option to choose when to mark a course complete. It can either be when all units are completed or you can manually grade the users.
You also have the ability to award a course certificate, which the user will receive after he/she completes the course.
Now that your course is created, the next thing you need to do is add units to it. You can add as many units to a course as you like.
To begin creating units, click on ‘+Add a unit to this course’. There are five types of units that you can add to your course.
- PDF Document
- YouTube Video
- Rich Text
- Video File
- Live Training
Adding a PDF Document
- To add a PDF document as a unit, select PDF Document from the unit types.
- Add unit name and upload the PDF document from your device and click on ‘Save’.
- Your PDF document is added as a unit in the course you created.
Adding a YouTube Video
- To add a YouTube Video as a unit, select YouTube Video from the unit types.
- Add unit name and paste the video URL from YouTube that you want to add as a unit and click ‘Save’
- The video is now added as a unit in the course.
Adding a Quiz
- To add a Quiz as a unit, select Quiz from the unit types
- Add unit name and unit description. Click ‘Save’ to save it.
- You can add minimum passing score to the quiz, if you like. If users receive a score that is less than the minimum passing score, they will fail the quiz, and consequently be unable to complete the course as well.
- After the Quiz unit is saved, you can add questions to it.
- You can also choose to show correct answers to the users by checking ‘Show correct answers to users after they finish attempting to answer’ below the quiz unit name and description.
- By default, the correct answer choice will be shown after you answer each question. If you select the above option, you will be shown the overall result at the end of the quiz.
Adding Questions To A Quiz Unit
- Click ‘Add Question’ beside the unit name to add questions.
- Now you can add the question and the answer choices below it.
- You can add two types of questions in a Quiz unit. They are Multiple Choice Questions and Free Text Questions
- For both MCQ and Free Text questions, you can either add text, insert code or a picture or all the three in question by using the options on the question toolbar.
- For MCQ, list out the answer choices and select the right answer through the radio buttons beside every answer choice.
- You can always add or delete the number of choices.
- To add more choices click on ‘+Add Choice’ below the choices.
- To delete an answer choice, click the delete icon beside it.
- To add more questions, click ‘+Add Question’ below the last question added.
- Click ‘Save’ to save it.
- For Free Text questions, once you have typed out the question, you can leave all the other fields blank.
- When all the fields have been left blank, whatever answer a user gives will automatically be considered as correct.
- If you want to be more stringent about evaluating answers, then you can fill in the points field and list out words or phrases that you think the answer should have.
- The answer will then be evaluated on the basis of those parameters.
Adding Rich Text
- To add a unit with editable text in it, select ‘Rich Text’ from the unit types.
- Add unit name and the text content.
- Click ‘Save’
Adding Video File
- To add a unit which contains a video file, select ‘Video File’ from unit types.
- Add a Unit Name and then click on Upload Video. Select the video that you want to upload from your system.
- Click ‘Save’
Adding A Live Training Unit
To conduct a live training through ‘Learning’, select ‘Live training’ from the unit types. Here you can fill in the unit name and description and click on save.
You can add multiple sessions for the same training unit.
During the creation of a ‘Live Training’ unit for a course, you can also add third-party users as instructors. (Users who are not from the organization)
All you have to do is, type their name in the list of instructors.
Click on +Add Session to add a new session for the training unit. Fill in the session details like Title, Date, Time, Location, Audience, Instructor etc. and click on save.
One user can only register for one session from a unit. However, if you want to conduct live training session on different topics, create a new live training unit and add a new session.
How To Mark A Live Session Attended?
In ‘My Courses’, go to ‘Assigned By Me’ and click on the course name. Go to Live Training and click on the ‘number of attendees’
You will be redirected to a page where you can see the list of users who registered for the live training session. Click on the status button of the user to mark it ‘Attended’ You can also unregister the user from the session by clicking on ‘Unregister’ under actions.
There are few actions you can carry out while creating a new course or editing your existing course. They are:
- Mark ready to assign/Assign
- Delete this course
- Push to library/Recall course
Preview – If you want to see how the course will look like when it has been assigned to users, you can click on the ‘Preview’ button under ‘Course Preview’ on the right side of the page.
Mark ready to assign/Assign – Once the course is ready, you need to mark it as ‘Mark ready to assign’. You can now begin to assign your course. When you click on the ‘Assign’ button, a light box opens up. Here, managers can select the direct reports they want to assign the course to.
Delete this course – You can delete the course by clicking ‘Delete this course’ under the ‘Course actions’ tab.
Push to library/Recall course – You can also edit the visibility of the course; you can push it to the library so that it can be available to everyone to assign to their team or to assign to themselves. You can do it by clicking ‘Push To Library’ under ‘Course Visibility’ tab on the right side.
Once a course has been pushed to library, the ‘Push To Library’ button changes to ‘Recall Course’. If you do not want your course to be available in the library once it has been pushed to library, click on the ‘Recall Course’ button to remove it from the library.
The ‘Learning’ section in Engagedly allows you to share the rights of modifying your course with other users in the organization.
Go to ‘Authored By Me’ tab and select the course that you want to add co-authors to. Click on ‘Edit’. On the bottom right hand side of this page, you can find a small section called ‘Co-Authors’
Here, click on ‘+Add/Edit co-author’. You can either add a new co-author or edit the already existing co-authors.
To see the courses that are co-authored by you, click on the ‘Co-authored’ under the ‘Authored by me’ tab.
A course can be assigned in three ways:
- By default, a manager will assign a course to his/her direct reports.
- A user who has the permission to assign courses to anyone.
- Users can assign courses to themselves from the library.
Manager Assignment – By default, only a manager can assign courses. Clicking on the ‘Assign to people’ button will allow them to assign courses only to direct reports.
If you like, you can also mark the course as mandatory. Once you mark a course as mandatory, you also need to provide the date by which the course needs to be completed.
You can also set course completion reminders so that users can be notified to complete the course before the due date.
Once done, you can click on the ‘Assign’ button.
Note – Even if a course’s end date has passed, it can still be taken by a user.
User With Permission to Assign Course To Anyone – In Engagedly, there’s a system of permission management. Since it is not a default permission that already exists in the system, the site administrator will have to create a new permission which gives users the capability to assign courses to anyone in the organization.
When these users click on ‘Assign to People’, they are allowed to assign courses to anyone.
Assign To Self – If you would like to assign a course to yourself, go to ‘Library’ tab on the ‘Learning’ homepage. From the list of available courses, click on the course that you want to assign to yourself. When the course overview page opens, on the top right hand corner you find will the button ‘Assign to Self’. Click on that button to assign the course to your self.
Go to ‘Assigned By Me’ and click on the course name that you want to view the status of. The Course page opens. It has various tabs like Learners, Quizzes Live Training and Reviews.
Learners – This tab shows you the list of users who have been assigned the course and their course completion percentages.
Additionally the status column on this page allows you to see the course completion status of the users. (completed, ongoing, overdue or not started) You can also use a filter here to show the learners with specific course completion status.
This tab also allows you to unassign users from a course, reset their course progress if they have failed a quiz and to notify the users to complete the course assigned to them
Quizzes – When you assign a course that contains a quiz a unit, you can check the number of responses for each question in the unit.The overview tab shows you the number of responses that each choice in a question has received.
You can also how each user did the on the quiz under the User Results tab.
This tab shows you the details of the live training unit added in the course if any.
Click on the ‘Attendees’, you will be redirected to a page where you can see the list of users who registered for the live training session.
Click on the status button of the user to mark it ‘Attended’. You can also unregister the user from the actions button beside the username.
This tab shows you the list of reviews that the course received. You can also hide the review from other users just by clicking on ‘Hide From Public View’ which can be found by hovering on the right side of the review.
The My Team page shows you the number of assigned, completed and pending courses of your direct reports. And if the Gamification feature is enabled, you can also how many points each direct report has accumulated from taking courses.
You can also Un-Assign courses and notify your direct reports about courses that are yet to be completed.
The My Org tab allows HR managers to see how many courses each user in the organization has taken. HR managers can also see how many courses a user is yet to take, and if the Gamification feature is enabled, to see how many points each user has accumulated from taking courses.
By clicking on a user’s name, you can view a completed list of courses they have been assigned. You can also un-assign these courses or notify users about them.
When you hover on Learning, on the left hand menu, the Learning drop down menu appears. There are three options available to you:
- My Courses
- My Team
The My Courses page can be considered the Learner’s home page. There are four different tabs on this page.
- Assigned To Me – On the Assigned to Me page, you will find all the courses that have been assigned to you by other users.
- Assigned By Me – On the Assigned by Me page, you will find courses that you have assigned to other users.
- Authored By Me – On this page, you will find courses that you have created.
- Course Calendar – On the Course Calendar page you will find all your upcoming courses, upcoming Live Training sessions etc. It’s a handy way for you to keep track of all your courses.
A user can take a course from the My Courses page. There are two ways in which the courses will be seen there. They are when:
- A manager assigns a course to you.
- A user assigns a course to themselves from the library.
When a course is assigned to you, you receive a notification on the dashboard. Click on it and you will be redirected to the course overview page, Click on the unit name to begin the course.
You don’t have to complete the course at one go. You can complete a part of it and click ‘Back to course’ button and come back to it later.
In a course that contains multiple units, you can mark a unit complete by clicking on the next button below the unit. In order to complete a quiz unit, you need to answer the quiz questions. If you just want to scroll through and see the units, you can do it through the list of units on the right hand side of the page.
After you have answered all the questions from a quiz unit, the ‘Quiz Summary’ appears at the end of the unit. Here you can view your quiz scores.
Once you complete a course, you can rate it and leave a comment. You now also the option to leave a comment anonymously by checking the ‘Keep this anonymous’ option.
The user receives a reminder notification when the course assigner notifies them to complete the assigned course. Click ‘View’ and you will be redirected to the page where you can take the course.
The user receives a personalized message with the email notification when the course assigner notifies them through the’Course Statistics’ section of the course dashboard. Click ‘View’ to be redirected to the page where you can take the course from.
Updated for Engagedly Release No: 2.9.2, dated January 12th 2017.